From On and Off the Ice, Huntingtown High School Hockey

Starting player Nathan Johnson tracks up the ice with control of the puck.

Cameron Kapiskosky

Throughout the fall and winter, we look at different teams such as Basketball, Football, Wrestling, Track, Swim, Tennis, and many more. One team we seem to notice on the same level as all those other teams, with an immense success throughout this year, is the Huntingtown hockey team. Hockey is focused on as a great athletic sport comparable in professional popularity to that of basketball, football, and soccer. Just as it rivals popularity to those other sports in a professional level, its popularity throughout high school seems to be on a level with those other sports too and continuing to grow. I was able to sit down with two players on this year’s Hockey team to tell you about why you should see some of Huntingtown’s hockey games this year.

There are many times throughout the year when our teams will play our rivals and most of the time there is an expectation that Huntingtown wins against Northern. The hockey team is no exception. After last year’s match against Northern, Huntingtown prevailed victorious just like most other teams that played Northern this year. Not only has the hockey team successfully proven their skill against our rivals, but they have also overcome other teams throughout the year. With the leadership of their team captain Jack Ronan, and their coach, Coach Patel, they have developed a substantial number of victories throughout their season.

I had a chance to sit down with a junior on the team this year, who has been playing travel hockey most of his young career starting out on this team as a freshman. “It’s a great competitive field compared to travel hockey,” Johnson states. “You don’t have a team with a lot of guys who are typically good or a team filled with a lot of guys who are typically not as good, so it becomes a much more competitive field.” Nathan Johnson is one of the teams many skillful players at a right-wing position, he looks to develop a successful year with Huntingtown’s hockey team as well as hopefully becoming a captain on next year’s team.

Huntingtown celebrates their recent goal taking a lead on Northern.

Another great player I was able to interview was one of the freshmen on this year’s team, Ian Atwood. When talking to Ian, he told me about how got interested in the sport of Hockey, “I had played competitive for 2 years, then got into football.” Ian referred his time playing JV football this year. “I have enjoyed football a little more than hockey, but both are amazing,” Atwood had stated on the idea of both football and hockey.

Each student I was able to interview showed their passion for the sport within their words. The team has made great accomplishments this year and in the past year and they look to create a even more accomplishments throughout the long future of Huntingtown High School.