A Pathway to Teaching

Rachael Heagy

Hello! My name is Rachael Heagy, and I am a TAM student at HHS. That’s the Teaching Academy of Maryland.  Along with Mrs. Tolson, I want to share with you the different classes that you can take through the TAM program through Maryland!

Teaching Academy of Maryland (TAM) is a program that educates high school students on education, psychology and all the in’s-and-outs of a child’s outlook and mindset on life. This class is super fun! If you take all three courses and do well, you can even do an internship in your senior year. You can also earn COLLEGE CREDIT! TAM is offered from grades 9-12.

Here is a more in-depth description of each of the available courses.

The different classes offered are: Human Growth and Development, Teaching as a Profession, Foundations of Curriculum and Instruction, Education Academy internship.

Human Growth and Development

I take this class, and I have learned a lot about the way a child develops, from conception through adolescence. This is a great class to take if you are interested in going down a teaching or psychology pathway. HGD is the basis of children and why they do what they do.

According to Ms. Tolson, “this is an exciting first course in the Teacher Academy of Maryland (TAM) program because it appeals directly to what gets most prospective teachers interested in an education career – the joy of working with children. It is also a course that appeals to something fundamental to adolescents – studying and understanding themselves.

The emphasis is placed on theories of physical, cognitive, and psychosocial development, the effect of heredity and the environment, the role of caregivers and the family, health and safety concerns, and contemporary issues. Students explore special challenges for growth and development. Students will have opportunities for guided observation of children from birth through adolescence in a variety of settings to help students further understand theories of human development. Students will begin to develop the components of a working portfolio to be assembled upon the completion of the internship.”

Teaching as a profession

Ms. Tolson: “This is the second course at the Teacher Academy of Maryland whose prerequisite is successful completion of or concurrent enrollment in 5500 Human Growth and Development through Adolescence. The course focuses on the profession of teaching – its history, purposes, issues, ethics, laws and regulations, roles, and qualifications. Emphasis is placed on identifying the current, historical, philosophical, and social perspectives of American education, including trends and issues. Students will explore major approaches to human learning. Students will participate in guided observations and field experiences in multiple settings to help them assess their personal interest in pursuing careers in this field and to identify effective learning environments. Students will continue to develop the components of a working portfolio to be assembled upon the completion of the internship.”

This is an excellent course to take when you have struck an interest in teaching or anything working with children of all ages. This class gives you a more in-depth look as to what it is like in the classroom and how you apply information in a way that a student can understand best.

-Foundations of Curriculum and Instruction

Ms. Tolson: “This course explores curriculum delivery models in response to the developmental needs of all children.  Emphasis is placed on the development of varied instructional materials and activities to promote learning, classroom management strategies, and a supportive classroom environment. Students will explore basic theories of motivation that increase learning. Students will participate in guided observations and field experiences to criticize classroom lessons in preparation for developing and implementing their own. Students will continue to develop the components of a working portfolio to be assembled upon the completion of the internship.”

This class is a fine preparation for college and offering solid information to take along with you on your journey to become a teacher!

Education Academy Internship

The internship is the culminating course of the Education Academy Program.

As Ms. Tolson puts it, “students will have an opportunity to integrate content and pedagogical knowledge in an educational area of interest. They will have an opportunity to extend and apply their knowledge about teaching in a classroom setting under the supervision of a mentor teacher. This internship may be with a teacher in their school or a neighboring elementary or middle school. The students will complete their working portfolio and present it for critique.”

In this class you will get hands-on experience of what it is like to be in a classroom in a leadership position and how to apply information to students in a way that is best for them to understand. You will also have an advantage in college from this class because you will be able to better put yourself in the students’ shoes and know what is best for them.