Candy and Covid

Rachael Heagy, Staff Writer

Candy and Covid

By Rachael Heagy

During the 2020 year, we students have had major changes in our lives. From completely changing the way we were taught to learn, to giving up things that now are considered a luxury, like going into the store. One of the other things that many Americans have given up is trick-or-treating. What was an annual Halloween tradition, is now no-more! This of course is also due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Halloween at Walmart

So, I found myself wondering, did treats go out of style this year?  Before Halloween arrived, I contacted some of Calvert County’s most shopped at stores to see how the sales of their stocked candy had changed compared to last year, due to the pandemic. I spoke with Weis, Giant Foods, Safeway, and Walmart to check the status on their candy sales, as well as their overall sales during this time.  Unfortunately, I was unable to receive exact percentages from Giant, Safeway and Walmart, but luckily Weis gave me the percentages for their sales increase!

STORE                             CANDY SALES          OVERALL SALES

Weis Increase by 23% Increase by 28%
Giant Increase Increase
Safeway Increase Increase
Walmart Decrease Increase

I was shocked to read these results; I was expecting the overall purchases to increase but never the candy to decrease at Walmart. Why do you think candy sales decreased at Walmart? I don’t know if the candy sales decreased by that much, but the overall sales increased so much, because of the many household items in stock, that it made the drop-in profits look so much bigger than it is.

Not only has the Covid-19 pandemic affected the sales, but it has affected the people too. From the frontline workers (thank you!) to the stay at home parents, we have all been impacted in some way.

In the midst of it all, if you think you or someone you know may have symptoms of SARS-CoV-2, do not hesitate to contact a healthcare professional.